Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Economics of Pocket Monsters



When I saw this truck on South 4th in Williamsburg, aside from being delighted, I got thinking about the economics of the world of Ash and Dr. Oak. In Pokemon you can buy pretty much anything, except for Pokemon. You are allowed to catch Pokemon in the wild or to trade for them with other trainers, but it is absolutely impossible to exchange money for Pokemon. They never explain in the game why this is. I am not sure if there is some sort of legal prohibition on the sale of Pokemon or if there is just some sort of cultural taboo against selling them. I was also wondering if you can buy and sell non Pokemon animals if they do in fact exist in the poke universe (I can't remember because it has been quite some time since my poke-days).

Question for my loyal readers: How many Pikachus could fit in that truck?

No comments: